Putaiao - NCEA Level 1
• NCEA Level 1.
• Credits lead to Te Waharoa Certificate in Māori Studies.
• Minimum requirement: Competence in Māori language – Students who have successfully completed two years study of Te Reo Māori at Secondary school level, or who have previous tuition at Te Kohanga Reo / Kura Kaupapa Māori to Year 8.
• At the Head of Faculty’s discretion and with whanau consultation.
• The course is based on an integration of Unit Standards from a Matauranga Maori programme (Te Waharoa).
• Instructions, student tasks and assessments will be offered on a bilingual basis, which will be bolstered with the introduction of Unit Standards revolving around Maori kaupapa (Maori medicine, how the body works, maara Maori etc…).
• The programme will allow for a more “hands-on” approach, as more activities and assessments will be of a practical nature.