Kia ora Wainuiomata High School whanau and neighbours of Wainuiomata High School,
The Wainuiomata High School redevelopment project is progressing well, and progress will soon begin on Stage 2 of the project.
Stage 2 will see the demolition of an existing teaching block (Block B) to enable its replacement with three new teaching blocks. A key first step of Stage 2 is the removal of all known asbestos from the works area prior to any demolition works.
It is a Ministry of Education requirement to notify neighbouring properties of any planned asbestos removal works. Grun Asbestos Removal & Demolition, a Licensed Asbestos Removalist(WorkSafe Class A Licence Number: RA21080035) will be undertaking removal work of Asbestos Containing Materials.
This removal work will be conducted between the hours of 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM from the 10th of January 2022 and will take approximately 3 weeks. This work may need to be re-scheduled in the event of bad weather.
Wainuiomata High School management and Board have been consulted about the nature and timing of this work, together with the safety measures to be used.
The following safety measures will be put in place and maintained for the duration of this project:
· Signs, barriers and/or temporary fencing will be installed.
· Water will be applied to asbestos containing materials to prevent airborne asbestos fibres dust.
· Asbestos containing materials will not bebroken, where possible.
· Plastic will be used to cover horizontal surfaces and surrounds.
· Asbestos containing material will be wrapped onsite and disposed of at an approved tip site
· Air monitoring at the work site boundary will be place for the duration of the work. If asbestos fibres above the allowable safe limit are detected, work will cease immediately and corrective measures applied.
· An independent party will carry out an inspection of the site on completion of the work, and issue a clearance certificate.
The Ministry of Educations website has further information about the management of asbestos and procedures to ensure the safety of all involved in or affected by the work, at the school and community. This can be found on: www.education.govt.nz/school/property/state-schools/fixing-issues/asbestos/
WorkSafe NZ was notified on 8thDecember 2021 that this licensed asbestos removal work is to be undertaken, and for additional information about asbestos removal and/or Asbestos Removal Licences can be found on WorkSafe NZ’s website http://www.business.govt.nz/worksafeor by phoning 0800 030 040 (24 hours).
If you have any questions or concerns about this removal work, please feel to contact the Project Manager Angus Bridge (from The Building Intelligence Group) on 04 499 0881 or Josh Trafford the Ministry of Education Delivery Manager at email@example.com